Команда форума
Модератор
Оценка реакций
Student code ___________ Form 10 _______

Summative Assessment for the term 2
Variant 1

Task 1. Read and highlight key ideas.

The Downside of Mobile Devices

Distraction by mobile devices is indeed something to worry about. Jeffrey Kuznekoff studies communications at Miami University Middletown in Ohio. For one recent project, he let college students take notes during a video lecture. Afterward the students took a test on the material. During the video, one group of students could text or tweet about anything. Another group could text and tweet only if the messages related to the lecture. A control group couldn’t text or tweet at all.

“Texting on things that are unrelated to class can hurt student learning,” Kuznekoff found. Overall, the control and class-related-message groups did 70 percent better on the test than did students that could text and tweet about anything. That control and relevant-message groups also scored 50 percent higher on note-taking.

“You’re putting yourself at a disadvantage when you are actively engaged with your mobiledevice in class and not engaged in what’s going on,” warns Kuznekoff. His team shared its findings in the July 2015 issue of Communication Education.

Those findings mesh with what college students themselves report. Another new study found that the more time students said that they typically text, use social media or read online during class, the lower their grades are.

“A lot of students tend to think that they are good at multitasking,” or doing more than one thing at a time, says Saraswathi Bellur. She’s a communications researcher at the University of Connecticut (UConn) in Storrs. In fact, she and her colleagues found, multitasking in class “is likely to harm their academic performance.”

“We also have data that show that people who multitask during class or while doing homework have to spend more time studying,” notes UConn coauthor Kristine Nowak. In other words, she argues, students who use mobile devices for something other than research or note-taking during class “are not efficient, and it is costing them time.” Concludes Nowak, “People believe they are better at multitasking than they are and this is leading them to bad study habits.” Her group shared its findings in the December 2015 issue of Computers in Human Behavior.

Task 4. Read the following sentences related to the text “The downside of mobile devices”. Write True, False, or Not Given

№ Statements True/False/
Not Given
1 The research provides evidence that there are no
concerns related to mobile apps.
2 Three involved groups were exposed to equal
conditions.
3 One of the female researchers found out,
multitasking in class “is likely to harm peer
relationships.”
4 Students’ academic multitasking could result in
the inescapable lack of time.

Total [8]

Task 2. Writing. Write an article about virtual reality.
How do you think each invention will improve our lives?:
• What technology do people use in nowadays?
• How new technology change people’s lives?
• Write advantages and disadvantages of new technology.
• Use the words as more as you can from this unit.
Example: The modern world cannot be imagined without new technologies……...

________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Total [4]
Total mark [12]

Total mark [ ]

Variant 2

Task 1. Read the text about organic food and mark the statements True or False.

Organic Food No More Nutritious

Scientists have revealed that organic and non-organic food contain pretty much the same amounts and kinds of vitamins and other nutrients. This might be surprising news for those of us who choose to buy organic believing it to be healthier. Researchers from America's Stanford University concluded that there might not be any extra health benefits to buying organic, thus people might be better off saving their money and buying

non-organic produce. Lead researcher Dr Crystal Smith-Spangle said there was no difference in the vitamin content in fruit, vegetables, meat and dairy products in organically- and conventionally-produced food. She said the only difference was slightly more phosphorus in the organic products.

Dr Smith-Spangle's review of over 200 different reports on organic food suggests people should perhaps revise their shopping choices, based on the levels of pesticides. Smith Spangler said both organic and conventional foods rarely exceeded the allowable limits for pesticides in the USA. She said the evidence wasn't too clear on whether the difference in pesticides would have an effect on health. She concluded by saying consumers should know there is overwhelming evidence that eating fruit and vegetables is good for your health, so people should eat more fresh produce, whether it is organic or conventional. Organic foods accounted for $31 billion in sales in the USA last year, up from $3.6 billion in 1997.

1. Scientists have found that non-organic food is no longer nutritious. True/False
2. Research says vitamin content in organic/non-organic food is the same. True/False
3. The researcher said people should think more about pesticides. True/False
4. Non-organic food in the U.S. contains pesticides over acceptable limits. True/False
Total [8] Task 2. Writing.
Write an article about “Organic food”.
You should:

l use vocabulary. Example: organic label, animal welfare, feed, nutrients, artificially, etc.

l use appropriate linkers to talk about causes, effects and possible solutions. Example: I guess it`s because…, So…, Because…, I suppose the best way to deal with this problem is…

Example: Today people are becoming more interested in eating healthy food and organic foods. I believe that organic food is better than non-organic……...


Total [4]
Total mark [12]

Total mark [ ]

Variant 3

Task 1. Read the text and decide whether the statements below true (T) or false (F).

Production of biofuels set to rise The world’s production of biofuels is set to rise rapidly

over the next ten years. This is according to a new report by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization. The report stated that increased global demand for biofuels will “boost international trade” over the next decade. This is because of rising concerns about global warming and the search for alternative energies. Governments around the world are

desperate to reduce the amount of fossil fuels they use so they can meet their CO2 targets. The current record price of oil is fueling the scramble for biofuels. New biofuel production plants are springing up in developed countries all over the world. The race is on to produce clean and economically-friendly biofuels that will provide up to 20 per cent of the energy needs in the major world economies.

Biofuels are not without their critics. Many people believe they are a major cause of the current rise in food prices. Industry analysts disagree and say biofuels make up only five percent of these increases, and that supply and demand is more to blame. However, it seems that a sharp rise in biofuel production would greatly influence food prices. This is because more wheat, seeds, palm oil and sugar would go into making biofuels instead of feeding people and farm animals. There is a danger that food riots could spread across the world, even to rich countries. People would have cheaper fuel for their cars but more expensive food on store shelves. This would greatly increase the gap between the haves and have-nots. In October 2007, a United Nations spokesperson called biofuels a "crime against humanity".

1. The production of biofuels will more than double over the next decade. T / F
2. Governments are extremely keen to replace fossil fuels with biofuels. T / F
3. There are no critics of biofuels. T / F
4. A UN official said biofuels were a crime against humanity. T / F

Total [8]

Task 2. Write an article about renewable energy sources.
• What do you know about renewable energy sources?
• Which sources is/are the most commonly used in your country?
• Use as more words as you can from this unit.
• Write advantages and disadvantages of renewable energy sources.

Example: Many people believe that in the future, fossil fuels, such as coal, oil and gas are going to run out and will be replaced with biofuels……..

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Total [4]
Total mark [12]
Total mark [ ]

Grade 10 Term 2

1.Listening. Insert relevant words within the meaning

1. I think it’s quite funny that we’re always worrying about teenagers and young people becoming ___________with online communication.

2. But if you ask me we need to worry just as much about ________.

3. At the office where I work, even when we have a _______ nobody talks to each other.

4. Everyone’s too busy checking their ________ networks and sending messages.

5. To have time to ____________face-to-face!

6. People spend their lunchtime glued to their ___________or barely glance up from their phones.

7. What really __________me is when you are trying to talk to someone.

8. They’re more interested in looking at their phone than paying __________ to what you’re saying

2. Speaking. Organic and Non – Organic Food

1. What can you say about organic and non-organic food?
2. How often do you buy organic food? Why (not)?
3. How do you think non-organic food production have the worst effect on our health? Why?

Words and Phrases will help you.

Chemical pesticides
GMO (genetically modified organism)
Synthetic fertilisers
Hormones and antibiotics
Synthetic substance
Crops
Pests
Organic Ingredients
Good living conditions

Total mark [12]

Transcript for teacher

Online Communication

In a way, I think it’s quite funny that we’re always worrying about teenagers and young people becoming 1. obsessed with online communication, but if you ask me we need to worry just as much about 2. adults! At the office where I work, even when we have a 3. break, nobody talks to each other unless they absolutely have to, which is a sorry state of affairs to say the least. Everyone’s too busy checking their 4. social networks and sending messages to have time to 5. communicate face-to-face! People spend their lunchtime glued to their 6. screens or barely glance up from their phones. Even during meetings, people can’t resist subtly checking their phone, and what really
7. irritates me is when you are trying to talk to someone and they’re more interested in looking at their phone than paying 8. attention to what you’re saying, even though you're right in front of them! Phubbing, I think it’s called!

Соч 2 10 класс

Assessment criteria Task Descriptor Mark
A learner

1 1 obsessed 1
listening
2 adults 1
3 break 1
4 social 1
5. communication 1
6. screens 1
7. irritates 1
8. attention 1

speaking 2 4

Total marks

Grade: 10 Summative Assessment for Unit 3 «Virtual Reality»

Subunit Developing and evaluating mobile applications

Learning objective 10.1.5 Use feedback to set personal learning objectives
10.3.7 Use appropriate subject-specific vocabulary and syntax
to talk about a range of general and curricular topics

Assessment criteria • Reflect on feedback and set personal learning objectives
• Talk about given topics using appropriate syntax and topic

related vocabulary

Level of thinking skills Application
Higher order thinking skills

Task 1. Read the texts about communication in the digital world and match paragraphs with the ideas

1: I think that even up until just a few years ago we could never have imagined how our behaviour would change about using mobiles and tablets. I know that I would find it incredibly difficult to live without my mobile. I’m constantly looking at my phone to see if I’ve got any new messages or updates, and checking my apps to see what’s new. I wouldn’t say that I post my life online, not like some people I know, but I do like to keep up with what people are up to – friends,
family and even other people I know but maybe haven’t seen for years, like old school friends, and check out photos of what they look like now, ha ha ha (laughing)

2: In a way, I think it’s quite funny that we’re always worrying about teenagers and young people becoming obsessed with online communication, but if you ask me we need to worry just as much about adults! At the office where I work, even when we have a break, nobody talks to each other unless they absolutely have to, which is a sorry state of affairs to say the least. Everyone’s too busy checking their social networks and sending messages to have time to communicate face-to-face! People spend their lunchtime glued to their screens or barely glance up from their phones. Even during meetings, people can’t resist subtly checking their phone, and what really irritates me is when you are trying to talk to someone and they’re more interested in looking at their phone than paying attention to what you’re saying, even though you're right in front of them! Phubbing, I think it’s called!

3: I was listening to this discussion on the radio the other day talking about online communication and they were talking about FOMO or, what was it, Fear of Missing Out, which apparently is a kind of modern-day psychological syndrome which we’re affected by because of our obsession with online communication. Basically, they were saying that the reason why people feel that they have to be connected 24/7 and communicate everything they’re doing and keep up with everything that other people we know are doing is down to this fear of missing out. We’re worried that everyone is having more fun than us or doing

something more exciting than us. They also said that because we’re spending more time communicating in the online world, we’re losing the ability to enjoy the present.

4: My generation is so different to my parents’. I mean, they’re always telling me that they grew up in a world without mobiles and social networking and they managed fine. Hard to imagine how they arranged to meet their friends without a phone … but they say they did! Uh ... I had so many arguments with them while I was growing up, until they let me have my first smartphone. But they didn’t let me have Snapchat or Instagram or anything like that! ‘It’s not the end of the world,’ they’d say! They just didn’t understand that that’s the way people my age communicate with each other. Nobody actually talks on the phone any more. They have no idea how much I missed out on at school being the only one who didn’t have Snapchat. Also, at school we had loads of talks and stuff on how to stay safe online and most of us knew that anything you post online was going to be there forever.

Paragraph.1 a. Has recently learned about some of the negative effects of excessive online
communication.
Paragraph.2 b. Is suffering from the fear of missing out.
Paragraph.3 c. Has witnessed great changes in the way we communicate over recent years.
Paragraph.4 d. Thinks that the amount of time teens spend online is alarming.
e. Is quite happy for any photos of themselves to be posted online.
f. Thinks limiting teenagers’ access to technology is unfair.
g. Wishes people would talk more in person.

Task 2. Choose the correct word

1. Did you see this/that documentary on TV last night?
2. All/Both/ Some of the twins study chemistry.
3. Can you help me with these/those books? I’m going to drop them!
4. My dad used to have one of these/ those old phones with antennas.

Task 3. Write an article about computer games in your school magazine.

1. What kind of computer games teenagers play nowadays?
2. With what problems teenagers to face playing computer games?
3. Write about advantages and disadvantages of computer games.
4. Use the words from module 3 as much as you can.
5. Write grammatically correct sentences.

venera0404084

Пользователь
Оценка реакций

Variant 1

Task 1. Read and highlight key ideas.

The Downside of Mobile Devices

Distraction by mobile devices is indeed something to worry about. Jeffrey Kuznekoff studies communications at Miami University Middletown in Ohio. For one recent project, he let college students take notes during a video lecture. Afterward the students took a test on the material. During the video, one group of students could text or tweet about anything. Another group could text and tweet only if the messages related to the lecture. A control group couldn’t text or tweet at all.

“Texting on things that are unrelated to class can hurt student learning,” Kuznekoff found. Overall, the control and class-related-message groups did 70 percent better on the test than did students that could text and tweet about anything. That control and relevant-message groups also scored 50 percent higher on note-taking.

“You’re putting yourself at a disadvantage when you are actively engaged with your mobiledevice in class and not engaged in what’s going on,” warns Kuznekoff. His team shared its findings in the July 2015 issue of Communication Education.

Those findings mesh with what college students themselves report. Another new study found that the more time students said that they typically text, use social media or read online during class, the lower their grades are.

“A lot of students tend to think that they are good at multitasking,” or doing more than one thing at a time, says Saraswathi Bellur. She’s a communications researcher at the University of Connecticut (UConn) in Storrs. In fact, she and her colleagues found, multitasking in class “is likely to harm their academic performance.”

“We also have data that show that people who multitask during class or while doing homework have to spend more time studying,” notes UConn coauthor Kristine Nowak. In other words, she argues, students who use mobile devices for something other than research or note-taking during class “are not efficient, and it is costing them time.” Concludes Nowak, “People believe they are better at multitasking than they are and this is leading them to bad study habits.” Her group shared its findings in the December 2015 issue of Computers in Human Behavior.

Task 4. Read the following sentences related to the text “The downside of mobile devices”. Write True, False, or Not Given

№ Statements True/False/
Not Given
1 The research provides evidence that there are no
concerns related to mobile apps.
2 Three involved groups were exposed to equal
conditions.
3 One of the female researchers found out,
multitasking in class “is likely to harm peer
relationships.”
4 Students’ academic multitasking could result in
the inescapable lack of time.

Total [8]

Task 2. Writing. Write an article about virtual reality.
How do you think each invention will improve our lives?:
• What technology do people use in nowadays?
• How new technology change people’s lives?
• Write advantages and disadvantages of new technology.
• Use the words as more as you can from this unit.
Example: The modern world cannot be imagined without new technologies……...

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Total [4]
Total mark [12]

Total mark [ ]

Variant 2

Task 1. Read the text about organic food and mark the statements True or False.

Organic Food No More Nutritious

Scientists have revealed that organic and non-organic food contain pretty much the same amounts and kinds of vitamins and other nutrients. This might be surprising news for those of us who choose to buy organic believing it to be healthier. Researchers from America's Stanford University concluded that there might not be any extra health benefits to buying organic, thus people might be better off saving their money and buying

non-organic produce. Lead researcher Dr Crystal Smith-Spangle said there was no difference in the vitamin content in fruit, vegetables, meat and dairy products in organically- and conventionally-produced food. She said the only difference was slightly more phosphorus in the organic products.

Dr Smith-Spangle's review of over 200 different reports on organic food suggests people should perhaps revise their shopping choices, based on the levels of pesticides. Smith Spangler said both organic and conventional foods rarely exceeded the allowable limits for pesticides in the USA. She said the evidence wasn't too clear on whether the difference in pesticides would have an effect on health. She concluded by saying consumers should know there is overwhelming evidence that eating fruit and vegetables is good for your health, so people should eat more fresh produce, whether it is organic or conventional. Organic foods accounted for $31 billion in sales in the USA last year, up from $3.6 billion in 1997.

1. Scientists have found that non-organic food is no longer nutritious. True/False
2. Research says vitamin content in organic/non-organic food is the same. True/False
3. The researcher said people should think more about pesticides. True/False
4. Non-organic food in the U.S. contains pesticides over acceptable limits. True/False
Total [8] Task 2. Writing.
Write an article about “Organic food”.
You should:

l use vocabulary. Example: organic label, animal welfare, feed, nutrients, artificially, etc.

l use appropriate linkers to talk about causes, effects and possible solutions. Example: I guess it`s because…, So…, Because…, I suppose the best way to deal with this problem is…

Example: Today people are becoming more interested in eating healthy food and organic foods. I believe that organic food is better than non-organic……...


Total [4]
Total mark [12]

Total mark [ ]

Variant 3

Task 1. Read the text and decide whether the statements below true (T) or false (F).

Production of biofuels set to rise The world’s production of biofuels is set to rise rapidly

over the next ten years. This is according to a new report by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization. The report stated that increased global demand for biofuels will “boost international trade” over the next decade. This is because of rising concerns about global warming and the search for alternative energies. Governments around the world are

desperate to reduce the amount of fossil fuels they use so they can meet their CO2 targets. The current record price of oil is fueling the scramble for biofuels. New biofuel production plants are springing up in developed countries all over the world. The race is on to produce clean and economically-friendly biofuels that will provide up to 20 per cent of the energy needs in the major world economies.

Biofuels are not without their critics. Many people believe they are a major cause of the current rise in food prices. Industry analysts disagree and say biofuels make up only five percent of these increases, and that supply and demand is more to blame. However, it seems that a sharp rise in biofuel production would greatly influence food prices. This is because more wheat, seeds, palm oil and sugar would go into making biofuels instead of feeding people and farm animals. There is a danger that food riots could spread across the world, even to rich countries. People would have cheaper fuel for their cars but more expensive food on store shelves. This would greatly increase the gap between the haves and have-nots. In October 2007, a United Nations spokesperson called biofuels a "crime against humanity".

1. The production of biofuels will more than double over the next decade. T / F
2. Governments are extremely keen to replace fossil fuels with biofuels. T / F
3. There are no critics of biofuels. T / F
4. A UN official said biofuels were a crime against humanity. T / F

Total [8]

Task 2. Write an article about renewable energy sources.
• What do you know about renewable energy sources?
• Which sources is/are the most commonly used in your country?
• Use as more words as you can from this unit.
• Write advantages and disadvantages of renewable energy sources.

Example: Many people believe that in the future, fossil fuels, such as coal, oil and gas are going to run out and will be replaced with biofuels……..

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Total [4]
Total mark [12]
Total mark [ ]

Grade 10 Term 2

1.Listening. Insert relevant words within the meaning

1. I think it’s quite funny that we’re always worrying about teenagers and young people becoming ___________with online communication.

2. But if you ask me we need to worry just as much about ________.

3. At the office where I work, even when we have a _______ nobody talks to each other.

4. Everyone’s too busy checking their ________ networks and sending messages.

5. To have time to ____________face-to-face!

6. People spend their lunchtime glued to their ___________or barely glance up from their phones.

7. What really __________me is when you are trying to talk to someone.

8. They’re more interested in looking at their phone than paying __________ to what you’re saying

2. Speaking. Organic and Non – Organic Food

1. What can you say about organic and non-organic food?
2. How often do you buy organic food? Why (not)?
3. How do you think non-organic food production have the worst effect on our health? Why?

Words and Phrases will help you.

Chemical pesticides
GMO (genetically modified organism)
Synthetic fertilisers
Hormones and antibiotics
Synthetic substance
Crops
Pests
Organic Ingredients
Good living conditions

Total mark [12]

Transcript for teacher

Online Communication

In a way, I think it’s quite funny that we’re always worrying about teenagers and young people becoming 1. obsessed with online communication, but if you ask me we need to worry just as much about 2. adults! At the office where I work, even when we have a 3. break, nobody talks to each other unless they absolutely have to, which is a sorry state of affairs to say the least. Everyone’s too busy checking their 4. social networks and sending messages to have time to 5. communicate face-to-face! People spend their lunchtime glued to their 6. screens or barely glance up from their phones. Even during meetings, people can’t resist subtly checking their phone, and what really
7. irritates me is when you are trying to talk to someone and they’re more interested in looking at their phone than paying 8. attention to what you’re saying, even though you're right in front of them! Phubbing, I think it’s called!

Соч 2 10 класс

Assessment criteria Task Descriptor Mark
A learner

1 1 obsessed 1
listening
2 adults 1
3 break 1
4 social 1
5. communication 1
6. screens 1
7. irritates 1
8. attention 1

speaking 2 4

Total marks

Grade: 10 Summative Assessment for Unit 3 «Virtual Reality»

Subunit Developing and evaluating mobile applications

Learning objective 10.1.5 Use feedback to set personal learning objectives
10.3.7 Use appropriate subject-specific vocabulary and syntax
to talk about a range of general and curricular topics

Assessment criteria • Reflect on feedback and set personal learning objectives
• Talk about given topics using appropriate syntax and topic

related vocabulary

Level of thinking skills Application
Higher order thinking skills

Task 1. Read the texts about communication in the digital world and match paragraphs with the ideas

1: I think that even up until just a few years ago we could never have imagined how our behaviour would change about using mobiles and tablets. I know that I would find it incredibly difficult to live without my mobile. I’m constantly looking at my phone to see if I’ve got any new messages or updates, and checking my apps to see what’s new. I wouldn’t say that I post my life online, not like some people I know, but I do like to keep up with what people are up to – friends,
family and even other people I know but maybe haven’t seen for years, like old school friends, and check out photos of what they look like now, ha ha ha (laughing)

2: In a way, I think it’s quite funny that we’re always worrying about teenagers and young people becoming obsessed with online communication, but if you ask me we need to worry just as much about adults! At the office where I work, even when we have a break, nobody talks to each other unless they absolutely have to, which is a sorry state of affairs to say the least. Everyone’s too busy checking their social networks and sending messages to have time to communicate face-to-face! People spend their lunchtime glued to their screens or barely glance up from their phones. Even during meetings, people can’t resist subtly checking their phone, and what really irritates me is when you are trying to talk to someone and they’re more interested in looking at their phone than paying attention to what you’re saying, even though you're right in front of them! Phubbing, I think it’s called!

3: I was listening to this discussion on the radio the other day talking about online communication and they were talking about FOMO or, what was it, Fear of Missing Out, which apparently is a kind of modern-day psychological syndrome which we’re affected by because of our obsession with online communication. Basically, they were saying that the reason why people feel that they have to be connected 24/7 and communicate everything they’re doing and keep up with everything that other people we know are doing is down to this fear of missing out. We’re worried that everyone is having more fun than us or doing

something more exciting than us. They also said that because we’re spending more time communicating in the online world, we’re losing the ability to enjoy the present.

4: My generation is so different to my parents’. I mean, they’re always telling me that they grew up in a world without mobiles and social networking and they managed fine. Hard to imagine how they arranged to meet their friends without a phone … but they say they did! Uh ... I had so many arguments with them while I was growing up, until they let me have my first smartphone. But they didn’t let me have Snapchat or Instagram or anything like that! ‘It’s not the end of the world,’ they’d say! They just didn’t understand that that’s the way people my age communicate with each other. Nobody actually talks on the phone any more. They have no idea how much I missed out on at school being the only one who didn’t have Snapchat. Also, at school we had loads of talks and stuff on how to stay safe online and most of us knew that anything you post online was going to be there forever.

Paragraph.1 a. Has recently learned about some of the negative effects of excessive online
communication.
Paragraph.2 b. Is suffering from the fear of missing out.
Paragraph.3 c. Has witnessed great changes in the way we communicate over recent years.
Paragraph.4 d. Thinks that the amount of time teens spend online is alarming.
e. Is quite happy for any photos of themselves to be posted online.
f. Thinks limiting teenagers’ access to technology is unfair.
g. Wishes people would talk more in person.

Task 2. Choose the correct word

1. Did you see this/that documentary on TV last night?
2. All/Both/ Some of the twins study chemistry.
3. Can you help me with these/those books? I’m going to drop them!
4. My dad used to have one of these/ those old phones with antennas.

Task 3. Write an article about computer games in your school magazine.

1. What kind of computer games teenagers play nowadays?
2. With what problems teenagers to face playing computer games?
3. Write about advantages and disadvantages of computer games.
4. Use the words from module 3 as much as you can.
5. Write grammatically correct sentences.

Верх