ЖБ БЖБ Ағылшын тілі 10 сынып Жиынтық бағалау ҚГБ

TEGINSOR.RU

Команда форума
Модератор
Оценка реакций
Methodological recommendations for Summative Assessment on the subject «The English language» Grade 10
(social-humanitarian direction)

CONTENTS
SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT TASKS FOR TERM 1..............................................
Summative assessment for the unit «Legend or Truth?».............................
Summative assessment for the unit «Controversial Issue»..........................
SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT TASK FOR TERM 2...............................................
Summative assessment for the unit «Virtual Reality»..............................
Summative assessment for the unit «Out of this World»............................
SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT TASKS FOR TERM 3..............................................
Summative assessment for the unit «Stress and Fear»..............................
Summative assessment for the unit «Imagination and Creativity» and «Reading for Pleasure» ..
SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT TASKS FOR TERM 4..............................................
Summative assessment for the unit «Different ways of Living».....................
Summative assessment for the unit «Independent Project»..........................

SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT TASKS FOR TERM 1
Summative assessment for the unit «Legend or Truth?»
Learning objectives
10.2.2 Understand specific information in unsupported extended talk on a wide range of general and curricular topics, including talk on a limited range of unfamiliar topics 10.3.7Use appropriate subject-specific vocabulary and syntax to talk about a range of general and curricular topics 10.6.9 Use appropriately a wide variety of active and passive simple present and past forms and past perfect simple forms in narrative and reported speech on a wide range of familiar general and curricular topics
Assessment criteria • Identify particular facts and parts in extended conversation
without support
• Talk about given topics using appropriate topic related vocabulary
• Apply active and passive simple/perfect present and past forms
Level of thinking skills Knowledge and comprehension
Application
Duration 20 minutes
Listening
Task. Listen to the talkand mark the sentencesTrue or False.
Follow the link to listen to the recording (play only the part of the recording 0.04-2.13) http://http-
ws.bbc.co.uk.edgesuite.net/mp3/learningenglish/2010/05/100513 6min loch ness web au bb.mp3
1. Scotland is famous for a mystery story about ghosts in old castles._____________
2. “Loch” is a Scottish word for “love”._____________
3. Kate recognises the word “dreich”._____________
Continue to listen and complete the sentences with ONE word.
4. Callum offers to listen to a report that has ________________the information about the monster.
5. It is believed that in 1930 someone saw the____________________crossing the road.
Speaking
Task. Speak about topic ‘Legend and Myth’ for 2-3 minutes. You have 1 minute to prepare. Use the following questions as a help:
1. What is a myth?
2. What is a legend?
3. What is a folktale?
4. What is the difference between myths, legends and folktales?
5. Does the country you live in have special myths of its own? Name one.
6. Are myths true or false?
7. What is a role of urban legends in people’s life?
You should:
• talk on topic
• present clear ideas
• use well-chosen topic related vocabulary
• use correct grammatical forms of active and passive simple/perfect present and past tenses
You can use:
1.vocabulary for talking about myths:
> To be the oldest and most powerful of all story forms.
> To carry an important message for a culture or group.
> To contain wisdom which a kind of truth is.
> To give the official view of creation.
> To explain natural events.
> To be passed on by spoken word.
2.vocabulary for talking about legends:
> To be based on fact, such as a real person, a place or an event.
> To be based on historic facts.
> To include heroic characters or fantastic places.
> To encompass the spiritual beliefs.
3.vocabulary for talking about folktales:
> To be passed on in spoken form.
> To comprise fables, fairy tales, old legends.
> To be based on a partial truth.
Assessment criteria Task № Descriptor Mark
A learner
Identify particular facts and parts in extended conversation without support 1 marks Falsefor the 1st sentence; 1
marks Falsefor the 2nd sentence; 1
marks Truefor the 3rd sentence; 1
writes the word ‘revealed’for the 4th sentence; 1
writes the word ‘beast’ for the 5thsentence; 1
Talk about given topics using appropriate topic related vocabulary Apply active and passive simple/perfect present and past forms 2 talks on topic; 1
expresses ideas clearly; 1
uses a range of appropriate vocabulary in a talk; 1
uses appropriate forms of active and/or passive simplepresent and/or past tenses; 1
uses appropriate forms of active and/or passive perfect present and/or past tenses. 1
Total marks 10
Rubrics for providing information to parents on the results of
Summative Assessment for the unit «Legend or Truth?»
Learner’s name
Assessment criteria Level of learning achievements
Low Middle High
Identify particular facts and parts in extended conversation without support Experiences difficulties in identifying information while listening to the talk. □ Experiences some difficulties in identifying information while listening to the talk. □ Identifies specific information in a talk mostly correctly. □
Talk about given topics using appropriate topic related vocabulary Apply active and passive simple/perfect present and past forms Speech contains irrelevant information. Makes many grammatical inaccuracies and uses inappropriate vocabulary. □ Talks on topic, however, ideas are not clearly expressed. Uses grammatical structures and vocabulary with some errors. □ Presents relevant ideas to the topic. Uses good range of grammatical structures and accurate vocabulary. Makes few errors that do not interfere the meaning. □
Transcript
Callum: Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English, I'm Callum Robertson and joining me today is Kate, hello Kate.
Kate: Hello Callum.
Callum: Now Kate, something which we both have in common is that we are both Scottish, though you couldn't tell from my accent and today's programme is all about what is perhaps the most famous mystery associated with Scotland. What do you think that is?
Kate: Mmm, let me think. Is it perhaps Nessie? The Loch Ness Monster?
Callum: Yes, it is, indeed. What is Loch Ness, Kate?
Kate: Well Loch Ness is a lake, called Ness, Loch Ness. And loch is the Scottish word for lake. Callum: We'll hear more about the loch and the monster shortly, but first, our question, which should be an easy one for you Kate, I think. Loch is the Scottish word for Lake, but what is the Scottish word 'dreich' used to describe: a: cold wet weather b: deep dark water c: deep soft snow Kate: Ah, well I know this one. I love this word 'dreich'. It means a: cold wet weather.
Callum: We'll find out if you're right at the end of the programme. Now back to Loch Ness. Could you tell us a bit more about it?
Kate: Well Loch Ness is a very big loch; it's about 37 km long and holds the largest amount of water of any lake in UK. The water is very deep and very dark. And it's also known as the home of the Loch Ness Monster.
Callum: When did all this talk of a monster in the loch begin? Let's listen now to part of a report about new information which has been revealed regarding the monster. Listen out for this information. When did the legend start and when did it become world famous? Here's the BBC's Colin Blane:
Colin Blane
The legend of the Loch Ness Monster goes back more than a thousand years but the story attracted world-wide attention in the 1930s after a Scottish newspaper reported the beast had been seen crossing the road.
Summative assessment for the unit «Controversial issue»
Learning objectives 10.4.5Deduce meaning from context in extended texts on a wide range
of familiar general and curricular topics,and someunfamiliar topics
10.5.8 Communicate and respond to news and feelings in correspondence through a variety of functions on a range of general and curricular topics 10.6.7 Use perfect continuous forms and a variety of simple perfect active and passive forms including time adverbials ... so far, lately, all my life , on a wide range of familiar general and curricular topics
Assessment criteria • Identify the meaning of unfamiliar words in the reading texts on
familiar and some unfamiliar topics
• Respond to the given statement expressing personal opinion clarifying by supporting examples
• Apply simple and continuous perfect forms using time adverbials such as so far, lately, all my life
Application
Higher order thinking skills
Duration 20 minutes
Reading
Task1.Read the text andchoose the correct synonym of the words in bold. Use the context clues in the sentences to help you.
Megacities
I’m definitely not a ‘country mouse’ but I grew up in a fairly tranquiltown. I went to University in a city called Exeter. It is perhaps one of the smallest in the UK, surrounded by green hills and home to only 100,000 people.
Recently I have moved to a “megacity” called Guangzhou. Guangzhou is an area of South China that is home to an unbelievable number of people - at least 50 million people. As these cities expand they are bleeding into each other, and will eventually be part of a sprawling metropolis that also includes Hong Kong and Macau.
As farming becomes more efficient and less people are needed in agriculture, this urbanisation is the story all over the world. Recently, it was revealed that for the first time in history, more people live in cities than live in the countryside. Although they cover only 3% of the world’s surface, 51% of the world’s population now lives in urban areas. It is predicted that by 2050, 75% of the world’s population will live in the city.
Humans' migration and the effect it is having on our planet are inevitable, so much so that academics believe we have entered a new geological age. It’s called the Anthropogenic: the Age of Man. We are in a time when the biggest changes to the planet are not created by nature, but by human beings.
1.Tranquil
A) busy
B) noisy
C) quiet
D) remote
2. Metropolis
A) a rural area
B) a very large city
C)urbanisation
D) a village
3.Predicted
A)anticipated
B)discussed
C)solved
D)argued
4.Changes
A)development
B)innovation
C) alteration
D) order
Writing
Task 2.Write your ideas in response to the following statement:
“Gender equality is a human right, but our world faces inequality in access to opportunities and
decision making power for women and men”.
You should:
• write your response to the statement
• express your opinion
• consider different perspectives and state your position clearly
• give supporting examples for ideas
• use topic related vocabulary accurately
• use accurate grammar structures to express simple and continuous perfect tenses
• use time adverbials such as so far, lately, all my life
Assessmentcriteria Task № Descriptor Mark
A learner
Identify the meaning of unfamiliar words in the reading texts on familiar and some unfamiliar topics 1 1.chooses C for the 1st sentence; 1
2.chooses B for the 2nd sentence; 1
3.chooses A for the 3rd sentence; 1
4.chooses C for the 4th sentence; 1
Respond to the given statement expressing personal opinion clarifying by supporting examples Apply simple and continuous perfect forms using time adverbials such as so far, lately, all my life 2 conveys ideas clearly; 1
considers different perspectives; 1
states personal position; 1
supports ideas with examples; 1
uses topic related vocabulary accurately; 1
uses simple perfect forms accurately; 1
uses continuous perfect forms accurately; 1
uses time adverbials accurately. 1
Total marks 12
Summative Assessment for the unit «Controversial issues»
Learner’s name
Low Middle High
Identify the meaning of unfamiliar words in the reading texts on familiar and some unfamiliar topics Experiences difficulties in choosing the synonyms of the words while reading the text. Experiences some difficulties with the given words. Makes some mistakes in finding the synonym of the words tranquil / metropolis / predicted / changes. Copes with finding appropriate synonyms of the words. Completes the task mostly correctly.
□ □ □
Respond to the given statement expressing personal opinion clarifying by supporting examples Apply simple and continuous perfect forms using time adverbials such as so far, lately, all my life Has difficulty in writing a response, in conveying ideas clearly with supporting examples. Does not clearly state personal position. Uses grammar structures inaccurately. Writes a response with mostly relevant information. Writes some examples to support the idea. Uses simple and some complex structures to express active/passive simple / continuous forms. Uses time adverbials with some inaccuracies. Writes a response by discussing different perspectives and clearly states personal position. Includes examples form experience to support ideas. Makes rare minor mistakes that do not interfere with the meaning.
□ □ □
Learning objectives
Assessment criteria
SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT TASK FOR TERM 2. Summative assessment for the unit «Virtual Reality»
10.2.1 Understand the main points in unsupported extended talk on a wide range of general and curricular topics, including talk on a limited range of unfamiliar topics 10.3.3Explain and justify own and others’ point of view on a wide range of general and curricular topics
• Recognise the main points in extended conversation while listening
• Explain and justify own point of view on different topics
Level of thinking skills
Knowledge and comprehension Higher order thinking skills
Duration
20 minutes
Listening
Task 1.Listen to the text and answer the questions. Write your answers in the space provided.
Teacher reads the transcript.
1.What is the topic of the debate?__________________________________________________________________
2.How many steps to colonisation does Dr. Brown see?________________________________________________
3. According to Dr.Wilkins how much money would colonisation of the Moon and the Mars take?
4.What does Dr. Wilkins suggest?___________________________________________________________
Speaking
Task2. Present your ideas on the topic “Virtual Reality: Fantasy books and films”. Thefollowingquestionswillhelpyouorganise your conversation.
1.Do you like reading fantasy books or watching fantasy films? Why? Give evidence to support your answer.
2.What was the last fantasy book you read? Describe what happened in the book.
3.What was the last fantasy film you watched? Describe it.
4.Do you think people enjoy reading or watching fantasy films? Why?
You should:
• give full answer to the questions
• explain your answer in details
• justify your opinion using examples and/or reasons
• use topic-related vocabulary
You can use expressions:
1. for talking about the fantasy book:
> ... was written by ...
> This is a fantasy book with lots of.
> This fantasy book is written fora general audience/children.
> Each chapter is more exciting than the last one, but if I have to choose one
> My favourite part is.
> Another bit I really enjoyed.
> The bit I found most interesting/entertaining.
> I couldn’t stop reading it.
> It is wonderful/easy to read.
> The book soon gets the reader involved.
> It is easy to read and difficult to forget.
> The book made me feel...
> (A character)reminded me of. / the setting reminded me of.
> I couldn’t put the book down because .
2. for giving your opinion about the film:
> I thought the film was great/OK/fantastic.
> The actors/costumes/screenplay are/is.
> The special effects are fantastic/terrible.
> The best scene/the worst scene is when.
> The plot is believable/seems a bit unlikely.
Assessment criteria Task № Descriptor Mark Additional information
A learner
Recognise the main points in extended conversation while listening 1 answers ‘ the colonisation of other planets’ for the 1st question; 1 A learner may write one of the given options
answers ‘3/three’ for the 2nd question; 1
answers „billions of dollars’ for the 3rd question; 1
answers ‘to spend the money on this planet/on feeding people/ protecting Earth’s environment’ for the 4th question; 1 A learner may write one of the given options
Explain and justify own point of view on different topics 2 gives full answer to the 1stquestion; 1
gives full answer to the 2nd question; 1
gives full answer to the 3rd question; 1
gives full answer to the 4th question; 1
explains his/her ideas in details; 1
justifies his/her ideas giving examples/reasons; 1
uses subject specific vocabulary accurately. 1
Total marks 11
Summative Assessment for the unit «Virtual Reality»
Learner’s name
Low Middle High
Recognise the main points in extended conversation while listening Experiences difficulties in identifying the main points in a talk. Identifies some main points in a talk. Makes mistakes in answering the questions. Identifies the main points in a talk. Answers most of the questions appropriately.
□ □ □
Explain and justify own point of view on different topics Expresses ideas mostly unclear and inconsistently. Arguments lack of supporting evidence. Expresses ideas with some arguments and supporting evidence in a way that is mostlycomprehensible and consistent. Expresses ideas clearly and consistently with supporting arguments, examples and/or reasons.
□ □ □
Transcript
Next Stop ... Mars?
Chairperson: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the Space Society.
To live in the 21st century is to live in an age where communication and technology seem to rule our world. And almost inevitably we find ourselves thinking about human settlements of other planets. Tonight the topic of our debate is Thecolonisation of other planets. Here with us we have Dr Timothy Brown and Dr Sandra Wilkins. Dr. Brown, may I ask you to speak first?
Dr Brown: Thank you. Let me start by making one thing clear; colonization of other planets is certain, it’s only the matter of time ...oh, and of course money. To build a spaceship capable of carrying hundreds of people is not cheap. However, once built, all a spaceship needs is enough fuel, food, water and oxygen, and colonisation becomes a reality. I see three steps to colonisation. First, we need to know how to live in space, and, thanks to the International Space station, this step is already achieved. The next logical step is to establish a colony on the Moon, and then, step three, on Mars, our nearest planet. Imagine how much we can discover about a planet by living there. Imagine also, if we set up powerful telescopes on the Moon or Mars, how much more we can learn about the universe. It is mankind’s destiny to colonise other planets. We must not fail in this challenge.
Chairperson: Thank you, thank you, Dr Brown. And now, may I ask Dr Sandra Wilkins to speak. Dr Wilkins: Thank you. And thank you to Dr Brown for that interesting speech. I am glad the good doctor referred to money. Just think for a moment how much money colonisation of the Moon and Mars, or other planet, would take. Billions and billions and billions of dollars. to put a handful of people on a dead planet. The fact is colonisation is just too expensive. People may talk of huge resources of copper, diamonds and other precious minerals on other planets. But no one knows they are there. We should spend the money on this planet, on feeding people and protecting Earth’s environment, rather than make foolish and costly trips into space.
Chairperson: Many thanks, Dr Wilkins. And now, are there any questions from the audience?
Yes, the lady over there.
Summative assessment for the unit «Out of this world»
Learning objectives
Assessment criteria
10.4.5 Deduce meaning from context in extended texts on a wide range of familiar general and curricular topics, and some unfamiliar topics
10.5.1 Plan, write, edit and proofread work at text level independently on a range of general and curricular topic
• Identify the meaning and content of the reading texts on familiar topics
• Make a clear plan of writing; write a text; check the written draft
Level of thinking skills Duration
Knowledge and comprehension Application
20 minutes
Reading
Task 1.Read the text and find which paragraph describes the following information. Write A-E in the space provided.
1. The danger to human existence.__________
2. The description of meteorite.________
3. The destruction of life.______
4. The protection of Earth.________
5. The weird concurrence.
The end of life on Earth
A. It weighed about 10,000 tons, entered the atmosphere at a speed of 64, 000 km/h and exploded over a city with a blast of 500 kilotons. But on 15 February 2013, we were lucky. The meteorite that showered pieces of rock over Chelyabinsk, Russia, was relatively small, at only about 17 meters wide. Although many people were injured by falling glass, the damage was nothing compared to what had happened in Siberia nearly one hundred years ago. Another relatively small object (approximately 50 meters in diameter) exploded in mid-air over a forest region, flattening about 80 million trees.
B. By a strange coincidence, the same day that the meteorite terrified the people of Chelyabinsk, another 50m-wide asteroid passed relatively close to Earth. Scientists were expecting that visit and know that the asteroid will return to fly close by us in 2046, but the Russian meteorite earlier in the day had been too small for anyone to spot.
C. Most scientists agree that comets and asteroids pose the biggest natural threat to human existence. It was probably a large asteroid or comet colliding with earth which wiped out the dinosaurs about 65 million years ago. An enormous object, 10 to 16 km in diameter, struck the Yucatan region of Mexico with the force of 100 megatons. That is the equivalent of one Hiroshima bomb for every person alive on Earth today.
D. Many scientists, including Stephen Hawking, say that any comet or asteroid greater than 20 km in diameter that hits Earth will result in the complete devastation of complex life, including all animals and most plants. As we have seen even a much smaller asteroid can cause great damage.
E. The Earth has been kept fairly safe for the last 65 million years by good fortune and the massive gravitational field of the planet Jupiter. Our cosmic guardian, with its stable circular orbit far from the sun, sweeps up and scatters away most of the dangerous comets and asteroids which might cross Earth’s orbit. After the Chelyabinsk meteorite, scientists are now monitoring potential hazards even more carefully but, as far as there is no danger in the foreseeable future.
Writing
Task 2. Choose one of the sci-fi films you have watched and write a review about it. Write 3 paragraph using the given plan:
1) Introduction. Facts and background information(title, actors, director, genre, the main characters, setting).
2) Main body. Main features of the film (the plot, acting, music, colour/ animation, special effects).
3) Conclusion. Recommendation and reason why you recommend to watch this sci-fi film or not.
You can use the following information as a support to write a film review:
• Mention where and when you saw the film (Did you see the film at the cinema or on TV? Did you watch it alone or with friends?)
• Give some general information about the film (What is the title of the film? Who is the director? Who stars in this film? Who are the main characters? Where/When is the film set?
• State briefly the main events/ points of the film (the plot) (What is the film about? What are the main events? What happens to the characters?)
• Make comments on the things you liked or didn’t like about the film (Is there anything you particularly liked or didn’t like?)
• State your general opinion about the film (What do you think of the film)
• Make a recommendation (Would you recommend this film?)
You can use set phrases/expressions for:
1. Introduction:
> It’s a comedy/an adventure film/a horror film, etc.
> .stars in this film.
> .is the leading actor/actress.
> .plays/has the leading role.
> It was directed by .
> The film is set in .
2. Main part:
> The film is about.
> The hero/heroine of the film .
> It is interesting/moving/long/tiring.
> The acting is excellent/poor.
> The actors/actresses perform well/badly.
> The music is fantastic/awful.
> The special effects are amazing/unrealistic.
> Certain parts are funny/amusing.
> The ending is disappointing/(un)predictable/surprising.
3. Conclusion:
> All in all/Overall, I found the film exciting/boring.
> It’s (only) suitable for children/adults.
> It’s a great film for action-lovers.
> This film is a box-office hit and it’s worth seeing.
> I definitely (do not) recommend it.
A learner
Identify the meaning and content of the reading texts on familiar topics 1 writes C for the 1st sentence; 1
writes A for the 2nd sentence; 1
writes D for the 3rd sentence; 1
writes E for the 4thsentence; 1
writes B for the 5 th sentence; 1
Make a clear plan of writing; write a text; check the written draft 2 writes introduction with facts and background information; 1
writes main body with general information ; 1
writes conclusion with recommendation and reason; 1
writes grammatically correct sentences; 1
uses topic related vocabulary accurately. 1
Total marks 10
Summative Assessment for the unit «Out of this world»
Learner’s name
Low Middle High
Identify the meaning and content of the reading texts on familiar topics Experiences difficulties in completing the task while reading the text. □ Makes mistakes in identifying the content of the paragraphs about the danger to human existence/ the description of meteorite/ the destruction of life/the protection of Earth/the weird concurrence. □ Copes well with the given tasks while reading the text. Correctly identifies the content of the most paragraphs. □
Make a clear plan of writing; write a text; check the written draft Shows poor attempts at the task set. Structure of the film review is incorrect. Writes some information off topic. □ Writes the film review with some inaccuracy in structure. Includes appropriate information in introduction, main body and conclusion. □ Writes the film review with correctstructure. Includes appropriate information in introduction, main body and conclusion. □
SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT TASKSFOR TERM 3
Summative assessment for the unit «Stress and Fear»
Learning objectives 10.2.4 Understand implied meaning in unsupported extended talk
on a wide range of general and curricular topics, including talk on a limited range of unfamiliar topics
10.3.1 Use formal and informal language registers in talk on a wide range of general and curricular topics
Assessment criteria • Recognisethe content of an extended conversation
• Apply formal and informal language register in speech
Application
Duration 20 minutes
Listening
Task 1.Listen to the talk and mark the statements True or False.
Follow the link to listen to the recording.
1.The writer has liked horror film since she was a child. __________
2. She finds all horror films amusing rather than frightening.__________
3.One zombie film she mentions does not end well.________________
4. Not all zombie films are supposed to be taken seriously. ___________
Speaking
Task 2. Speak about «Stress and Fear» for 2-3 minutes. Answer the questions.
1.What is stress?
2.What types of symptoms of stress do you know?
3.Are you easily agitated or annoyed? Give evidence to support your answer.
4.Do you get upset by unimportant or small things?
5.What phobic symptoms do you know?
You should:
• answer the questions
• use the vocabulary appropriate for the given topic
• speak with fluency
You can use vocabulary for talking about «Stress and Fear»:
To be/ get stressed.
To get rid of stress.
To deal with stress.
To have behavioural problems.
To reduce your stress level.
To have resistance to stress.
To fight stress.
To be caused by both good and bad experiences.
> To
> To
> To
> To
> To
> To
> To
> To
A learner
Recognise the content of an extended conversation 1 writes ‘True/T’ for the 1st question; 1
writes ‘False/F’ for the 2nd question; 1
writes ‘True/T’ for the 3rd question; 1
writes ‘True/T’ for the 4th question; 1
Apply formal and informal language register in speech 2 uses appropriate language register in speech; 1
gives full answerto the 1st question; 1
gives full answer to the 2nd question; 1
gives full answer to the 3rd question; 1
gives full answer to the 4th question; 1
gives full answer to the 5th question; 1
uses appropriate topical vocabulary within the task set; 1
speaks withfluency. 1
Total marks 14
Summative Assessment for the unit «Stress and Fear»
Learner’s name
Low Middle High
Recognise the content of an extended conversation Experiences difficulties in identifying the implied meaning while listening. Answers most of the questions incorrectly. □ Shows his/her attempt in identifying the implied meaning while listening, but makes some mistakes. □ Identifies the implied meaning in a talk. Answers most of the questions correctly. □
Apply formal and informal language register in speech Answers most of the questions incorrectly. Demonstrates lack of usage formal and/or informal registers and topical vocabulary in a talk. Hesitates when speaking, which often interferes comprehension. □ Answers some of the questions. Uses formal and/or informal language at sentence level with some inaccuracy. Uses appropriate topical vocabulary. Speaks with some hesitation, but it does not usually interfere comprehension. □ Answers most of the questions. Demonstrates good usage of formal and /or informal language. Uses good range of topical vocabulary within the task set. The speech is generally fluent. □
Transcript
I want to talk about horror films and why I like them and what my favourite types are.
When I was young, I watched the classic horror films like 'Nightmare On Elm Street' and 'Friday The 13 th'. My mum told me that when I was about six, she came downstairs in the middle of the night because there was a noise, and it was me watching 'The Omen' on TV in the dark on my own. So I guess I've always liked horror films.
I really like what I called 'slasher films' - the really gory, bloody, violent films like 'Final Destination' and 'The Hills Have Eyes'. I just find them quite funny and I like the special effects. I don't really find them scary at all. I think the scariest sort of films are the ones that are very tense, like Hitchcock films.
I think the scariest one for me is 'The Birds' because it's just very sinister the way that the birds come and sit and look at the people. And you know that it's going to be really bad very soon.
But I think my favourite ... favourite sort of horror films are zombie movies. I've watched loads of zombie movies and I really like them. Again I don't really think they are very scary. 'Dawn Of The Dead' is my absolute favourite horror film I think. It's a film where people just wake up one morning and there are zombies everywhere. If a zombie bites you, you turn into a zombie. And the survivors end up in a shopping mall in a shopping centre and they are surrounded by zombies. And it does not have a happy ending.
There is a British comedy horror film called 'Shaun Of The Dead' which is a bit of a joke on the idea of the 'Dawn Of The Dead' which is also really great.
Summative assessment for the unit «Imagination and Creativity» and «Reading for Pleasure»
Learning objectives 10.4.7 Recognise patterns of development in lengthy texts [inter-
paragraph level] on a range of general and curricular topics
10.5.2 Use a growing range of vocabulary, which is appropriate to topic and genre, and which is spelt accurately
10.6.3 Use a variety of compound adjectives, adjectives as participles, comparative structures indicating degree, and intensifying adjectives on a wide range of familiar general and curricular topics
Assessment criteria • Identify logical flow of events in a reading passage
• Apply topic and genre related vocabulary in writing appropriately and spell them correctly
• Use a range of adjective forms such as compound adjectives, comparative and superlative adjectives accurately
Application
Duration 20 minutes
Reading
Task 1. Read the text and fill in the gaps 1-5 by missing sentences A-F. There is one sentence that YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE.
A. I once had a wonderful costume made for me that was red chiffon with wonderful Indian trousers.
B. From artists and authors to campaigners and politicians, we ask: What’s your inspiration?
C. When I saw him perform, and sell all those records around the world, I thought that was I would like to do.
D. It made everybody go ‘Woooh!
E. When I hear it now, I remember how hungry I was for success, how desperately I wanted to prove myself to the world.
F. I had to call it Red Buggy.
What inspires the inspirational?
Where does creativity come from? How do we find our best ideas, our greatest expressions of intellect and imagination? What goes on in our minds is as individual as we are- yet it has the power to
define our lives and change the world. 1) _______________________ This week, we put the questions to a ballerina
and an R&B artist.
DarceyBussell, Prima ballerina
I am inspired mainly by bright colours and beautiful views. When you live in a big city with long winters, I think you need them to revive your enthusiasm for life. I’ve always painted my walls vivid colours, like bright pink. In my first flat, I had a bathroom that was painted purple.
2) ’.
My mother was into colours and loved to mix them. I particularly love red and pink together although the combination can appal some people. I love to dress my two daughters into vibrant colours. I don’t wear
enough colour myself, though. 3)__________________________It was for the part of Nikiya in La Bayadere.
Craig David, R&B artist
‘One more chance’ whenever needed!
When I was growing up, it was predominantly Michael Jackson. The song that was quite poignant for me was ‘Leave Me Alone’. It was the first record I went out and bought.
4) .
My mum was a big Terence Trent D’Arby fan, and he was the first artist I saw perform live, at the Southampton Guildhall. We were right up at the front and he had the stage presence of Prince in terms of the dancing, and the voice of Stevie Wonder. It was amazing! And that first album of his was hugely
inspirational. It made me want to write and then ... nothing happened. It showed me, the rise and fall of an artist.
Now, when I am looking for inspiration for a song, I’ll often play ‘One More Chance’ by The Notorious BIG. When I was DJ-ing in the clubs, it was a song I could throw on when people were getting bored and drifting towards the bar, and it would save me. 5)________________________________
Writing
Task 2. Write a review of the book or story you have recently read.
You should:
• write your opinion about it
• describe the story
• describe the main character’s actions
• usea range of adjective forms (compound adjectives, comparative and superlative adjectives) to describe the setting, details, emotions and feelings.
• use the appropriate vocabulary accurately
A learner
Identify logical flow of events in a reading passage 1 writes ‘B’for the 1st question; 1
writes ‘D’ for the 2nd question ; 1
writes ‘A’ for the 3rd question; 1
writes ‘C’ for the 4th question; 1
writes ‘E’ for the 5th question; 1
Apply topic and genre related vocabulary in writing appropriately and spell them correctly Use a range of adjective forms such as compound adjectives, comparative and superlative adjectives accurately 2 writes opinion about the story; 1
describes the story; 1
describes the main character’s actions; 1
uses a range of compound adjective forms; 1
uses a range of comparative and superlative adjective forms; 1
uses topic related vocabulary accurately. 1
Total marks 11
Summative Assessment for the unit «Imagination and Creativity» and«Reading for Pleasure»
Learner’s name
Low Middle High
Identify logical flow of events in a reading passage Experiences challenge in identifying the patterns of development. Answers most of the questions incorrectly. □ Experiences some challenge in identifying the patterns of development in the text. Answers some of the questions correctly. □ Confident in identifying the patterns of development in the text. Completes most part of the task correctly. □
Apply topic and genre related vocabulary in writing appropriately and spell them correctly Use a range of adjective forms such as compound adjectives, comparative and superlative adjectivesaccurately Experiences difficulties in writingreview of a story or a book.Uses adjectives and topical vocabulary inaccurately. Spells most of the words incorrectly. □ Writes a review of a story or a book including some information.Uses someadjective forms and topical vocabulary accurately. □ Writes a review of a story or a book with all necessary information. Uses a wide range of adjective forms and topical vocabulary while writing. □
SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT TASKS FOR TERM 4
Summative assessment for the unit «Different Ways of Living»
Learning objectives 10.4.3 Skim a range of lengthy texts with speed to identify content
meriting closer reading on a range of general and curricular
topics
10.3.2 Ask and respond to complex questions to get information about a wide range of general and curricular topics
Assessment criteria • Identify the main points of a text on familiar and unfamiliar
topics in speed reading • Ask and answer to complex questions on topic
Duration 20 minutes
Reading
Task 1. Read the text quickly and identify which person did the following things. Write the letter P for
Phiona and K for Koni in the spaces provided.
Which person:
1. has had a book published about their life? _____________
2. had to have a further operation due to a problem?
3. took up a new interest in order to get fed? _________
4. represented their country in competitions? __________
5. will receive financial support thanks to a physical talent.
Tales of courage
Ugandan teenager, PhionaMutesi, grew up in poverty, unable to read or write. Her father died when she was very young and she had to find food for herself and her brother. It was that basic need that decided her fate, because it led her to Robert Katende’s chess programme. Katende was offering a bowl of food to any child who would come to his centre to learn chess. Phiona wouldn’t have gone there if she hadn’t been desperate to eat, and her life changed with that one decision. Her potential at chess was obvious from the start and she enjoyed playing, so began to practise more and more. She walked four miles a day to attend training, collecting food each time. She was soon beating the older girls and boys in the programme and has since played for Uganda in several international tournaments, with trips to Russia, Turkey and the USA. Phiona has brought hope to her family and is becoming an inspiration worldwide, with the recent appearance of her biography.
Koni Dole’s bravery and fighting spirit are remarkable. Koni comes from Montana in the USA and is passionate about American football. He regularly represented his high school in competitions until he suffered a bad break to his leg, which became infected after it was set. Eventually, Koni’s leg had to be removed and doctors told him he would never play football again. However, instead of letting himself be beaten, he faced up to his disability and used it as motivation. Immediately after the surgery, he began training again and, with the help of an artificial leg, went running and lifted weights to improve his fitness. Despite being in great pain at times, he continued the training programme and returned to the football field a year after his terrible accident. Koni has been given a football scholarship by Montana State University and fully intends to achieve further sporting success.
Speaking
Task 2. Work with your partner by asking and answering complex questions on topic ‘Different ways of living’. You will have 1 minute to think and 2-3 minutes to talk.
The following words can be used as a prompt:
HAPPINESS MONEY JOB FREELANCING DOWNSHIFTING
You should:
• Ask your partner complex questions on topic
• Answer your partners questions
• Comment on your partner’s answer
• Use appropriate vocabulary and grammar
You can use vocabulary:
> To be a material asset.
> To revolve one’s life around money.
> (Not) to equal happiness.
> To be a source of short-term happiness.
> To give pleasure.
> (Not) to give happiness or joy.
A learner
Skim the text and identify the main points of a text on familiar and unfamiliar topics 1 writes‘P’ for the 1st sentence; 1
writes ‘K’ for the 2nd sentence; 1
writes ‘P’ for the 3rd sentence; 1
writes ‘P’ for the 4th sentence; 1
writes ‘K’ for the 5th sentence; 1
Ask and answer complex questions on topic 2 asks complex questions to partner; 1
answers to partners’ questions; 1
comments on partner’s answers; 1
uses appropriate grammar structures; 1
usesappropriate vocabulary. 1
Total marks 10
Summative Assessment for the unit «Different Ways of living»
Learner’s name
Low Middle High
Skim the text and identify the main points of a text on familiar and unfamiliar topics Experiences difficulties in identifying the main points of the text. Matches the information mostly incorrectly while reading the dialogue. Identifies the main points of the text. Makes some mistakes in matching the statements. Identifies the main points of the text. Completes the task mostly correctly while reading the text.
□ □ □
Ask and answer complex questions on topic Generally passive while speaking. Does not ask appropriate questions or with often errors and expresses opinion unclear most of the time. Mostly leaves partner’s answers uncommented. Grammar and vocabulary choice is mostly inappropriate. Maintains the talk most of the time by asking and answering to the questions with some errors which do not impede communication. Expresses opinion mostly clearly and comments the partner’s replies. Easily maintains the talk. Expresses opinion with flexibility and comments the partner’s replies. Asks complex questions and answers partner’s questions properly.
□ □ □
Summative assessment for the unit «Independent Project»
Learning objectives 10.2.3 Understand the detail of an argument in unsupported extended
talk on a wide range of general and curricular topics, including talk on a limited range of unfamiliar topics
10.5.5 Develop with support coherent arguments supported when necessary by examples and reasons for a wide range of written genres in familiar general and curricular topics
Assessment criteria • Recognise the detail of an argument in an extended talk while
listening
• Write persuasive essayby giving arguments supported with examples and reasons
Duration 20 minutes
Listening
Task 1. Listen to Jack, Ryan and Lauren talking about teenagers and part-time jobs. Match the speakers (1-
3) with their opinions (A-D). There is ONEEXTRA opinion which YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE. CD2
Tapecsript1.
1.Jac k A. It is a good idea for teenagers to work.
2.Rya n_________________________ B. It is a bad idea for teenagers to work.
3.Laure n C. It is a good idea, but only if they earn a lot of money.
D. There are good things and bad things about it.
Writing Task 2.
Before conducting summative assessment for the unit, learners should have some practice of writing persuasive paragraphs that is necessary for writing the body paragraphs of an essay.
Write a persuasive essayongiven topic following the structure outline below.
Topic: «A new law will make it illegal for youngsters under the age of 18 to do a part-time job»
The outline: Introduction: Reasons:
Conclusion:
State your position or opinion. Do you agree or disagree? Keep your audience in mind when you write.
List at least three reasons for your opinion. Think of your audience and what reasons might persuade them. try using phrases like “for instance” or “in addition” to introduce your reasons.
Restate your opinion in a way that relates it to a greater statement about the world or society. In other words, why should your audience agree with your opinion?
You can use the following vocabulary:
> To give good experience of working.
> One of the advantages/disadvantages of a part-time job is that ...
> To earn some money.
> The advantages of working as a/an ... are.
> You have to be good at.
> To be a good way of meeting people.
A learner
Recognise the detail of an argument in an extended talk while listening 1 matches Jack to A; 1
matches Ryan to D; 1
matches Lauren to B; 1
Write persuasive essay by giving arguments supported by examples and reasons 2 writes the introductory part of the paragraph; 1
states opinion / position clearly; 1
writes 1st reason to support opinion/position; 1
writes 2nd reason to support opinion/position; 1
writes 3rd reason to support opinion/position; 1
writes the concluding part of the paragraph; 1
uses appropriate linking words and phrases. 1
Total marks 10
Summative Assessment for the unit «Independent Project»
Learner’s name
Low Middle High
Recognise the detail of an argument in an extended talk while listening Experiences challenges in the detail of an argument of the talk. Completes the matching task mostly incorrectly. Tries to identify the detail on an argument while listening to the talk and completes the matching task with some mistakes. Copes with listening task easily and recognises the detail of an argument in the task. Completes the task correctly.
□ □ □
Write persuasive essay by giving arguments supported by examples and reasons Experiences difficulty in writing an essay on a given topic; has obvious problems with giving reasons. Writes the essay in a sequential order. Some of the arguments are not supported well. Writes coherent essay with clearly stating position supported by reasons and examples.
□ □ □
Transcript
Jack: I think it’s a good idea for teenagers to do part-time work. Part-time jobs give you good experience of working. It’s important to find out what kind of job you want to do- before you leave school. The other advantage of a part- time job is that you can earn some money. When you’re 16, it’s better to have your own money-not ask your parents for money! Anyway, my parents haven’t got much money, so they definitely can’t afford to give money to me. That’s fine. I’m happy to earn it.
Ryan: A lot of my friends have got part-time jobs. Part-time jobs are a good way of meeting people. You can make some really good friends. The problem is, you spend all your time working-working at school or working in your job- and you’re always tired. Sometimes, part-time jobs make teenagers too tired to study! But they’re still a good way to earn some money and meet people, so they aren’t a bad thing, really.
Lauren:I don’t have time to do a part-time job-and I don’t really need one either. My mum and dad give me money. The most important thing for teenagers is to get a good education. Then they can get good jobs in the future. Teenagers can only get part-time jobs that are badly paid-£ 3.00 an hour, or perhaps £ 3.50. You can’t earn much money like that. Parents have to give teenagers more money so that they don’t have to do these jobs. That’s my opinion.

Е

Елдана

Next Stop ... Mars?
Chairperson: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the Space Society.
To live in the 21st century is to live in an age where communication and technology seem to rule our world. And almost inevitably we find ourselves thinking about human settlements of other planets. Tonight the topic of our debate is Thecolonisation of other planets. Here with us we have Dr Timothy Brown and Dr Sandra Wilkins. Dr. Brown, may I ask you to speak first?
Dr Brown: Thank you. Let me start by making one thing clear; colonization of other planets is certain, it’s only the matter of time ...oh, and of course money. To build a spaceship capable of carrying hundreds of people is not cheap. However, once built, all a spaceship needs is enough fuel, food, water and oxygen, and colonisation becomes a reality. I see three steps to colonisation. First, we need to know how to live in space, and, thanks to the International Space station, this step is already achieved. The next logical step is to establish a colony on the Moon, and then, step three, on Mars, our nearest planet. Imagine how much we can discover about a planet by living there. Imagine also, if we set up powerful telescopes on the Moon or Mars, how much more we can learn about the universe. It is mankind’s destiny to colonise other planets. We must not fail in this challenge.
Chairperson: Thank you, thank you, Dr Brown. And now, may I ask Dr Sandra Wilkins to speak. Dr Wilkins: Thank you. And thank you to Dr Brown for that interesting speech. I am glad the good doctor referred to money. Just think for a moment how much money colonisation of the Moon and Mars, or other planet, would take. Billions and billions and billions of dollars. to put a handful of people on a dead planet. The fact is colonisation is just too expensive. People may talk of huge resources of copper, diamonds and other precious minerals on other planets. But no one knows they are there. We should spend the money on this planet, on feeding people and protecting Earth’s environment, rather than make foolish and costly trips into space.
Chairperson: Many thanks, Dr Wilkins. And now, are there any questions from the audience?
Yes, the lady over there.

Верх